The alcohol category is synonomous with convenience stores across the country. However, unsurprisingly the coronavirus pandemic has had a big impact on where, why and when we consume alcoholic drinks. A reluctance to visit the hospitality sector due to the changeing goverment guidelines or nervousness around busy venues has opened the door to higher levels of home consumption Convenience retail is perfectly placed to cater for this increased demand. This report comprehensively covers the BWS category within convenience, including shopper behaviours and the opportunities for retailers to capitalise on.
The report analyses purchasing behaviour for BWS within the convenience channel, including the shopper profile of each, the role of online vs. instore purchasing and drivers to purchase. We then hone on two key emerging sectors: Low2No and hard seltzers, as well as unpicking the impact of coronavirus and the likely legacies from the pandemic in terms of alcohol consumption.
BENEFITS TO YOUR BUSINESS
- Examine the who, what, where, when and why of convenience store BWS shopping to get under the skin of the shopper and consumer.
- Align your channel strategy to the trends in the market – understand where best to invest your time, people and money.
- How have shoppers responded to coronavirus and the restrictions of shopping, as well as not being able to eat out?
- Do trends in the market align to proposed areas of investment?
- Get under the skin of the convenience store retailer to understand how, why and where there purchase BWS products.
- Gain a full understanding on emerging categories. What do shoppers expect? How big are the opportunities for your brand?
- Who is the BWS shopper within UK convenience?
- Where do they purchase BWS products from?
- Why do they choose that particular store?
- How much do they spend?
- How frequently do they purchase BWS?
- What occasions are they purchasing BWS for?
- What shopping mission are BWS shoppers on?
- How much are consumers willing to pay for premium?
- Which variations of categories are shoppers most interested in trying?
The Impact Of Coronavirus
- How has coronavirus impacted drinking habits?
- How has the coronavirus pandemic impacted shopping habits towards the BWS category?
- What new shoppers occasions have emerged as a result of coronavirus?
- What impact has Coronavirus had on location of alcohol consumption?
- How do consumers anticipate purchasing behaviour to change under new restrictions?
The Opportunity For Low 2 No Alcohol
- How do shoppers classify the low 2 no category?
- What motivates shoppers to buy low 2 no drinks?
- How can suppliers build a winning low 2 no strategy?
- How does the low 2 no shopper differ from BWS?
Hard Seltzers And New Horizons For RTDs
- Are the lines between premium soft drinks and BWS blurring?
- What are the top considerations for consumers buying Hard Seltzers?
- What factors have the most influence on purchasing behaviour when retailers are deciding to stock a new product?
- What do retailers want to see from suppliers, including use of technology in depot?
- How can suppliers boost impulse purchasing amongst retailers?
- What factors do retailers take into consideration when buying BWS?
- How do retailers craft their range?
- How much influence do promotional offers have on retailer decisions to shop with a wholesaler?
20,000 face-to-face surveys across the year from Lumina Intelligence’s established Convenience Tracking Programme.
A bespoke online consumer survey focusing on attitudes towards the beers, wines and spirits category.
A bespoke survey with UK convenience store retailers to understand their views and perceptions on the beers, wines and spirits category.
Extracts from the Lumina Intelligence Wholesale Online Report 2020 that showcase retailer purchasing behavioursthrough online wholesale channels.