The Lumina Intelligence Menu & Food Trends Report 2022 provides a comprehensive overview of menu engineering and pricing trends from across the UK hospitality sector. Understand how operators are adapting their menus in the face of significant headwinds, including price inflation, dish count and product labelling. Identify the mega trends impacting the UK hospitality sector and the opportunities and challenges that these present, including the attitudes and expectations of consumers.
Menu composition and engineering:
- Price analysis across chain restaurants, managed pub/bar, QSR and coffee & sandwich shop menus
- Item analysis including top-line metric analysis i.e. dish counts, dish type and how operators are mitigating challenges
- Trend analysis looking back to 2017 to see growth in products, flavours and ingredient
Lifestyle and mega trends:
- Economic outlook, barometers and consumer measures including population figures
- The Eight mega trends and latest consumer research and developments
Trend curve analysis across the five key trend buckets, including real life operator, consumer and menu examples:
- Lifestyle trends
- Experience-led trends
- Cuisine trends
- Product trends
- Drink trends
- Future development expectations for the mega trends
- Future economic outlook expectations and the impact this will have across the foodservice market
- Forward looking trend developments
- The Lumina Intelligence Menu Tracker tool has been used to analyse 29 operators from the chain restaurant and pub & bar
- Spring/Summer 2022 (SS22) menus are analysed, using Spring/Summer 2017 to Spring/Summer 2021 menu data to assess trends.
Price analysis methodology
- Chain restaurant and pubs & bar same line dishes are used for price analysis. Same line dishes: Dishes retained on menus from
Spring/Summer 2021 to Spring/Summer 2022 with the same dish name and dish description.
- There were 205 and 93 same line dishes on chain restaurant and pub & bar menus, respectively, from Spring/Summer 2021 2022
New menu tracker.
- The section is also utilising data from our brand new tool, moving to monthly data collection and covering chain restaurants, pubs &bars, QSR and coffee & sandwich shop channels. This tool covers drink menus as well as food. Data has been assessed from
February to October 2022