2020 was an extraordinary year for UK convenience retail, with increased shopper frequency and basket size providing a +£2.6bn boost. With the balance of in-home and out-of-home consumption levelling, what does this mean for convenience in
2021 and beyond? What impact will upcoming legislation have on the sector? What are the biggest opportunities and threats?
The UK convenience sector experienced a boom in 2020, as the pandemic caused a rise in in-home consumption and local shopping.
With restrictions eased and hospitality reopening, what does this mean for convenience retail?
The Lumina Intelligence UK Convenience Market Report 2021 is the definitive report on the UK convenience sector. The report gives a comprehensive overview of the market, competitive landscape, shopper metrics and future forecasts. Use this report to identify the key opportunities and challenges on the horizon for your business.
HOW TO USE THE REPORT
- Quantify the size and growth of the convenience market to benchmark your own performance.
- Fully understand the competitive landscape with our extensive review – what can you learn and apply?
- Align your channel strategy to the trends in the market – understand where best to invest your time, people and money
- How have shoppers responded to coronavirus and the restrictions of shopping, as well as not being able to eat out?
- Do trends in the market align to proposed areas of investment?
- What is the likely recessionary impact for the channel? What trends will be important in 2021?
- Get under the skin of the convenience shopper to better meet their current and future needs.
Convenience Market Context
- UK convenience retail market performance in the context of the wider grocery market
- Key economic and consumer barometers impacting the convenience channel
- New legislation and consumer trends as the UK recovers from the impact of the coronavirus.
- Understand the size of the UK convenience retail market and the channels that underpin it. Compare the value with the number of outlets.
- The leading fascias in the convenience market by outlets
- The leading fascias in the convenience market by turnover
- The leading symbol groups and convenience multiples and their forecast outlet growth for 2021
Shopper Overview & Demographics
- A summary of the key findings from our
- Convenience Tracking Programme. Understand the behaviours, patterns and attitudes of over 50,000 UK shoppers, including data on demographics, missions, and shopping habits vs. previous years.+
- Understand the on demand convenience shopper and the differences and opportunities of online vs in store.
- How store location has impacted performance over the past 12 months with a specific focus on the pandemic
A Focus on HFSS
- Understand how the new HFSS legislation will impact the convenience channel. How often do shoppers buy on impulse? What categories are set to be the most impacted? What are the opportunities to arise from the changes?
- Convenience market value forecasts up to 2024F as well as future looking trends and concepts that are driving the industry forwards.
1,500 weekly consumer surveys from Lumina Intelligence Convenience Tracking Programme – the UK’s largest UK convenience shopper study
- Convenience market sizing from Lumina Intelligence Grocery Data Index, which provides the structure, size and turnover of the retail market with data for over +120 retailers.
- Channel detail and topical content and subject deep dives from Lumina Intelligence Channel Pulse – 1,000 consumer interviews across UK grocery retail shoppers.