The wholesale sector has seen growth of +2.8% in 2020, but this figure masks market polarisation between those supplying the retail and foodservice sectors. Wholesalers have had to cope with unpredictable demand – and the pandemic has accelerated the growth of digital solutions and new revenue streams such as direct-to-consumer. Understanding market trends and customer behaviour will be key to success as restrictions begin to ease.
The Lumina Intelligence UK Wholesale Market Report 2020/21 is the definitive report for the UK wholesale industry. The report comprehensively covers the size of the UK wholesale market and its sub-channels, as well as its competitive landscape, with profiles on the UK’s leading wholesalers. The report also includes detailed retailer/operator insight, which analyses digital usage across both web and app, as well as purchasing behaviours and trends and opportunities by route to market. Our future outlook section looks at the key trends set to impact the industry in 2021 and beyond alongside commentary from business leaders.
Market And Competitive Landscape
- Explanation of wholesale routes to market and types of wholesaler
- A timeline of market developments during the coronavirus pandemic
- An update on macro-economic factors and the impact on wholesale
- Financial performance of leading wholesalers The key challenges facing wholesale operators
- The opportunities for operators to capitalise on
- Individual profiles for key operators within the UK wholesale market Delivered: Website vs. App
- A detailed overview of the difference in the behaviour of retailers across wholesaler websites and apps, including:
- Session time
- Basket size
- Top search categories
- Pages viewed
- Categories purchased Route to market and purchase behaviour
- How has purchasing behaviour changed in wholesale during the coronavirus pandemic?
- What are the key missions in the channel?
- Benefits and barriers to purchasing online
- Sources of information in the wholesale channel (e.g. best sellers, NPD, promotions, category advice)
- How have retailers changed their offer in the last 12 months?
- What influences the decision to purchase new products?
- What type of promotions do retailers prefer and how have they changed promotional activity? Future outlook
- The attitudes and perceptions of grocery and hospitality business leaders towards:
- Current trading conditions
- Future trading conditions
- The impact of Brexit
- The trends set to impact the UK wholesale channel in 2021 and beyond.
Web and app data streamed from multiple major GB wholesalers and amalgamated into a representative industry average.
- Market sizing data, from Lumina Intelligence’s Operator Data Index, tracking the performance of hospitality, grocery and wholesale operators, based on turnover and outlet numbers.
- Telephone interviews with 250 retailers to understand their purchasing behaviour in the wholesale sector, conducted January 2021.
- The Lumina Intelligence Top of Mind business leaders survey – an online survey targeted at leaders across hospitality and grocery retail.